July 25-29, 2016
Unplug this summer and absorb the beautiful environment on the edge of the largest body of freshwater in the world. Explore your path as an educator while embarking on the Superior Hiking Trail with fellow professionals. Experience expeditionary learning in a supportive, energizing environment and discover the power of experiential education in practice. Join us on the Superior Hiking Trail this summer!
- 5-Day Backpacking Expedition on the Superior Hiking Trail
- Exclusively for professional educators and youth workers
- No previous backpacking or camping experience needed
- Learn the theory and practice of experiential education
Teaching for Tomorrow
Watch this short video to get an idea of what Voyageur Outward Bound School's curriculum centers on. The Educators Expedition is designed to uncover the theories and practices of experiential character education, or what is now being called "social and emotional learning." Apply what you learn in your personal life, the classroom, or youth program.
Expedition curriculum includes:
- Experiencing expeditionary learning and nature-based education
- Building a professional learning community
- Learning theory and practice of Outward Bound's experiential pedagogy
- Exploring your path as an educator going forward
- Coaching and feedback
- Transferrable practices for your classroom or program
Sample Course Itinerary — Coming Soon!
Each course is custom designed for the group. Our Program Coordinator is working on this itinerary. Stay tuned!
Day 1: “Welcome to Outward Bound” – Training Phase
- Arrival to the Twin Cities Center by 9am
- Meet, greet, pack, etc.
- Overview of course plan and discuss questions/expectations for course
- Transport to trail head
- Orienteering and safety lesson
- Hike to first night’s campsite on trail
Day 2: Introduction to Expedition Mentality – Main Phase
- Wake, breakfast, pack and depart
- Hike to camp, set up, cook, eat, rest
- Evening discussion
Days 3-4: Further Development of Skills – Main Phase
- Continue travel
- Natural history of the Superior Hiking Trail
- Examination of what we are experiencing, who we are, education philosophy
- Ethics of service
- Afternoon solo
Day 5: Course Closing – Final Phase
- Begin “Final Expedition”
- Transferring the Transformation – theory to reality!
- Return to Wellstone Center by 4pm to de-issue gear, shower
Get Continuing Education Credit
This expedition will count as 25 CEU hours for most boards. VOBS will provide you with the materials you need to seek approval from your board.
Program Cost: $650 – discounted rate for youth development and education professionals
This is a discounted rate for youth development and education professionals. The actual cost is $1150, with almost 50% sponsored through fundraising efforts. Just 10 spots total are available.
Is this for me?
This course is designed for classroom teachers, program managers, senior leadership, youth workers, and aspiring outdoor educators. Call us with questions at 651-292-1062.
What gear and experience do I need?
We will send out a specific gear list well in advance of the course. You supply your personal clothing and VOBS provides the rest. No prior wilderness or backpacking experience is needed.
What is your refund policy?
We can refund your full registration until 45 days before the course starts. We are unable to refund if you cancel within 45 days of course start.
How is safety demonstrated?
Outward Bound has been instructing expeditions for 50 years in Minnesota. We are a network of schools that run annual safety audits and reviews. We are certified by our national safety department which is internationally renowned for Wilderness Risk Management and Safety. Every instructor must be Wilderness First Responder medically certified and trained in Student Management Skills, Multi-Cultural Competency, and Instructor Judgement. Besides knowing how to respond in the case of an emergency, we proactively strive to prevent emergencies from occurring.
Join YIPA, receive additional discount
We have partnered with Minnesota Youth Intervention Programs Association to provide an additional discount to members. Visit http://mnyipa.org/join-the-movement/member-benefits/ to learn more and become a member.